Out of State Transfers
Forms and Fees
Things to Know
- Within 30 days of moving to Rhode Island you must obtain a new title and registration for your vehicle.
- Insurance is mandatory in Rhode Island. You must carry liability at the minimum and your insurance company must be licensed to do business in the State of Rhode Island.
- New residents need to have their cars inspected within five days of being registered.
- If the model year of the vehicle is 2001 or newer, a title is required to register the car.
- If two owners are on the title, both parties must be present during registration, if not, the signature of the absent party must be notarized on the Application for Registration.
- If the title is from another state or the vehicle was registered in another state, and the model year of vehicle is 2001 or newer, a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) check is required before you register the car.