Out of State Transfers
Forms and Fees
Things to Know
- Within 30 days of moving to Rhode Island you must obtain a new title and registration for your vehicle.
- Insurance is mandatory in Rhode Island. You must carry liability at the minimum and your insurance company must be licensed to do business in the State of Rhode Island.
- New residents need to have their cars inspected within five days of being registered.
- If the model year of the vehicle is 2001 or newer, a title is required to register the car.
- If two owners are on the title, both parties must be present during registration, if not, the signature of the absent party must be notarized on the Application for Registration.
- If the title is from another state or the vehicle was registered in another state, and the model year of vehicle is 2001 or newer, a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) check is required before you register the car. Contact the police station you are going to visit to inquire what forms of payment they accept, as not all Police Departments accept cash.
- If the lien holder has sent your valid out of state title to the RI DMV, you must first obtain it from the Research Office at the Cranston DMV before any transaction can be processed.
- Out of State Transfer