Trailers that are 2001 or newer with a carrying capacity of 3,001 lbs or more require a title. A vehicle identification check (VIN) is required if the trailer is currently titled out of state. A safety inspection is required for all trailers 1,000 lbs & greater. List of RI inspection stations.
- Bill of sale
- Proof of the previous ownership
- Application for Registration
- Use Tax form
- Proof of insurance. The insurance information is for the vehicle pulling the trailer.
- Costs are listed in the DMV Fee Table
- Title is required if trailer is 2001 or newer with a carrying capacity of 3,001 & greater.
- If purchased at a RI dealership, tax will be collected at the time of sale, tax exempt form and proof of tax paid will be required
- Information regarding the length and GVW of the trailer is required at the time of registration.
Purchased Homemade Trailer