Forms and Fees
No Cost Policy: Applies only to spouses not to any other family member of the deceased. Please refer to the Transfer at Death section for all other death related transfers.
Things to Know
- If model year of the vehicle is 2001 or newer, a title in the name of the deceased person is required.
- If model year of the vehicle is 2001 or newer with a loan/lien, the original title is required to update name. A permission letter from the bank to remove or add the new owner is also required.
- The current registration in the name of the deceased person is required.
- An original death certificate is required. The DMV will make a photocopy and return the original to you.
- Sign the vehicle over to yourself by printing and signing your name in both the buyer and seller areas on the back of the title. Be sure to include the vehicle's current mileage reading.
- There is no tax owed as long as the vehicle was registered in the deceased spouse's name (not to a business).