The TSA and the US Department of Transportation (USDOT) rules require background checks of commercial drivers carrying the HazMat endorsement on their CDL. The background check includes collecting the individual's fingerprints and verification of US citizenship, immigration eligibility or permanent legal residence in the United States.
Things to Know
- The driver can complete the TSA HazMat driver application on the Hazardous Material Endorsement Enrollment web site at universalenroll.dhs.gov or call the toll-free Driver Help Desk at 1-855-347-8371 for assistance. The application must be completed prior to arriving at the fingerprint capture location.
- The fee for the collection of fingerprints and driver application for a security check is $86.50, payable by credit card, electronic check or money order only (no cash will be accepted). If paying by money order, do not fill out.
- Finger print processing is done by APPS for all HazMat applicants.
- The RI location for fingerprinting is 405 Kilvert St, Suite D, Warwick, RI 02886,
Hours: Tuesday-Friday, 9:30 am - 1:00 pm & 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- It takes approximately 4-5 weeks to process your application.
- In order to renew your CDL with HazMat endorsement, transfer CDL/HazMat from state-to-state, or apply for a new CDL with HazMat, you must supply the Rhode Island DMV with the Clearance Letter you receive from the TSA.