Commercial (CDL) & Chauffeurs
All CDL transactions are done at the DMV headquarters in Cranston.
New Medical Certification Requirements
- All CDL drivers must self certify prior to January 31 2014 to the Cranston DMV the type of commercial motor vehicle operation they drive in or expect to drive in with their CDL Self Certification Form.
- Failure to comply will result in the CDL license being down graded to a regular operators' license.
- As of January 30, 2012, all CDL holders will be required to show their Medical Examiners Report for all transactions.
- You must present a valid Medical Card or Certificate to obtain a Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP).
- New Medical Certification requirements: A Guide for Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Holders
Eligibility Requirements for a CDL
- You must be at least 21 years old. However, you can receive a license valid for intrastate (within state) travel at age 18.
- You must have had a regular Rhode Island driver's license for at least two years, with no suspensions or revocations.
- You must earn a medical examiner's certificate.
- Requirements for a passenger or school bus endorsement.
Applying for a CDL
- You must bring a Social Security card and your Rhode Island driver's license.
- You must complete an Application for Commercial Driver's License.
- You must provide proof of passing both the written exam and road test.
- You will receive a temporary license valid for 60 days.
- A hard copy will be mailed to you. If you do not receive it within 30 days, please contact the Division of Motor Vehicles at (401) 462-4368.
Rhode Island's Commercial Driver's License Manual.
Applicants must apply for a CDL instruction permit before receiving a Commercial Driver's License. You will receive the instruction permit after completing your written exam.
- The written test is given at the DMV headquarters in Cranston.
- Before taking the road exam, you must pass the written portion of the CDL test. If you fail, you must wait five days before taking the test again. If you pass, you must apply for the permit necessary to take the road exam.
- The road test is administered by the Community College of Rhode Island (CCRI). For more information, call (401) 825-1146.
CDL Military Skills Test Waiver
The CDL Military Skills Test Waiver form must be used by service members who are currently licensed and who are/were employed within the last ninety (90) days in a military position requiring the operation of a military motor vehicle equivalent to a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV). This waiver allows a qualified service member to apply for a CDL without taking a skills test. CDL knowledge (written) test(s) cannot be waived. The form must be signed by commanding officer.
The transfer of School Bus (S) and/or Passenger (P) endorsements under this waiver are prohibited.
A license issued to drive a limousine, taxi, or small van carrying under 14 passengers is denoted as an "R" restriction on your regular operator's license. You must complete and review: