Name & Address Change
You can update your Rhode Island driver's license at any DMV branch location or at a AAA branch office (members only).
- Bring current driver's license.
- You need to complete and sign the License/ID/Permit Application.
- By Mail: Use the Change of Address form. Send the form to the Division of Motor Vehicles Attn: Address Change, 600 New London Avenue, Cranston RI 02920. There is no fee for this address change. Print your new address on the back of the license in the space provided.
- Costs are listed in the DMV Fee Table
Legal Requirements: License holders are required by law to notify the DMV within ten days of any change in address.
Procedure for Changing Gender Designation on Driver's License or Identification Card
Applicants requesting a change of the gender designation on their driver's license or identification card from that showing on their identity proof documents must:
- Surrender any current state-issued license or identification card.
- Submit a completed Gender Designation form.
- Pay applicable fees for new or updated license or identification card. The applicant shall have a new photograph taken.
Name changes related to gender are completed via submission of appropriate court documents and also must be reflected on the Social Security card. Please refer to the RI DMV Document Checklist - License and ID Cards.