RI.gov R.I. Government Agencies | Privacy Policy |
CONTACT US BY PHONE | FAQs |    Search this Site:
DMV feedback

Alcohol-related License Suspensions

An alcohol-related license suspension can result from a conviction under RIGL § 31-27-2, Driving under influence of liquor or drugs, or RIGL § 31-27-2.1, Refusal to submit to chemical test. In addition to the motorist's period of license suspension, the motorist will also be required to comply with any other sanctions ordered by the sentencing court.

The most common sanctions that accompany an alcohol-related license suspension are the granting of a hardship license in conjunction with the installation of an ignition interlock device, the installation of an ignition interlock device only, alcohol treatment, alcohol education, and/or public community service. All alcohol education, alcohol treatment, and public community service sanctions are monitored by the Driver Retraining Office of the Rhode Island Division of Motor Vehicles. The Driver Retraining Office is located within the Adjudication Office on the first floor of the DMV Headquarters, 600 New London Avenue, Cranston, RI 02920.

In addition to the above mentioned sanctions, RIGL § 31-32-4 (d) also requires that a motorist must obtain proof of financial responsibility prior to license reinstatement. In accordance with RIGL § 31-47-12 (c), the DMV requires the motorist to demonstrate proof of financial responsibility in the form of an SR-22 insurance certificate. The motorist must maintain an SR-22 for a three (3) year period following reinstatement of an alcohol-related license suspension.

Alcohol-related license suspensions also result in the suspension of a motorist's registration privileges. If a motorist has a vehicle registered in his/her name, the motorist must obtain from his/her insurance company an "Owner/Operator" SR-22 certificate. If a motorist does not have a vehicle registered in his/her name, and does not plan to register a vehicle in his/her name, an SR-22 can be obtained for an operator's license only. Please contact your insurance company to obtain an SR-22 certificate.