RIMS (Rhode Island Modernization System)
DMV Computer System Upgrade
The R.I. Division of Motor Vehicles will convert its operations to a new computer
system on Wednesday, July 5, 2017.
EXPECT SERVICE CHANGES AT DMV OFFICES THROUGH MONDAY, JULY 17, 2017.
DMV offices will be CLOSED on the following dates:
- Cranston: Monday, July 3 - Tuesday, July 4
- Providence (Road Test site): Monday, July 3 - Tuesday, July 4
- Middletown: Monday, July 3 - Wednesday, July 12
- Warren: Monday, July 3 - Monday, July 17
- Wakefield: Monday, May 22 - Monday, July 17
- Woonsocket: Monday, July 3 - Wednesday, July 12
- Westerly: Monday, July 3 - Thursday, July 20
DMV offices will be OPEN FOR RESERVATIONS ONLY on the following dates:
- Cranston: Wednesday, July 5 – Monday, July 17
- Middletown: Thursday, July 13 – Monday, July 17
- Woonsocket: Thursday, July 13 – Monday, July 17
Please click here to make a reservation
Additionally, online transactions through RI.gov will be unavailable from Thursday, June 29 at 4:30 p.m. until Wednesday, July 5 at 12:00 P.M. Please note that dealer temporary license plate services will remain available.
All regular DMV branch schedules and customer services will resume on Tuesday, July 18, 2017.
To avoid lapses in the validity of your driver’s license, vehicle registration or other motor vehicle documents, we strongly suggest you complete your transactions early, online by Thursday, June 29, 2017, or through the mail. To help Rhode Islanders save money, we will waive banking charges for most DMV transactions completed online.
To assist you, AAA Northeast has agreed to process their DMV transactions for non-members beginning in May and continuing through July 31, 2017 (with the exception of July 1-7, when AAA offices will be unable to complete any DMV transactions.) For a list of those DMV services, and to locate a AAA office near you, visit: https://northeast.aaa.com/automotive/registry-services/rhode-island.html
For more information please call (401) 462-4368.
We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience and cooperation during this critical transition period.