RIMS (Rhode Island Modernization System)
DMV Computer System Upgrade
The R.I. Division of Motor Vehicles will convert its operations to a new computer
system on Wednesday, July 5, 2017.
Expect service changes at DMV offices through Monday, July 31, 2017.
DMV offices will be CLOSED on the following dates:
- Cranston: Monday, July 3 - Tuesday, July 4
- Providence (Road Test site): Monday, July 3 - Tuesday, July 4
- Middletown: Monday, July 3 - Wednesday, July 12
- Warren: Monday, July 3 - Monday, July 17
- Wakefield: Monday, May 22 - Monday, July 17
- Woonsocket: Monday, July 3 - Wednesday, July 12
- Westerly: Monday, July 3 - Thursday, July 20
To avoid lapses in the validity of your driver’s license, vehicle registration or other motor vehicle documents, we strongly suggest you complete your transactions early, online or through the mail by Friday, June 30, 2017.
To help Rhode Islanders save money, we will waive banking charges for most DMV transactions completed online.
To assist you, AAA Northeast has agreed to process their DMV transactions for non-members beginning in May and continuing through the DMV’s computer launch period. (With the exception of July 1-7, when AAA offices will be unable to complete any DMV transactions.) For a list of those DMV services, and to locate a AAA office near you, visit: https://northeast.aaa.com/automotive/registry-services/rhode-island.html
For more information please call (401) 462-4368.
We apologize for any inconvenience.