RI.gov R.I. Government Agencies | Privacy Policy |
CONTACT US BY PHONE | FAQs |    Search this Site:
DMV feedback

Cancel Plates

Plates may be cancelled at any DMV branch location or at a AAA branch office (members only). Out of state plates must be returned to the original state.

Things to Know

  • The DMV requires you to surrender your license plates upon cancellation.
  • Lost or stolen plates must be reported to your local police department. To cancel the plates, submit the police report to the DMV, or complete the (Affidavit for Cancellation of Registration for Lost Plates).
  • To cancel plates by mail:
      • Send the cancelled plates to the Division of Motor Vehicles Attn: Plates, 600 New London Avenue, Cranston RI 02920.
      • In order to cancel plates, the DMV must confirm the registered owner. Be sure to include a photocopy of the registration, copy of the registered owners driver license, OR other document identifying the owner.
      • If there is no documentation of the registered owner, the plates will NOT be cancelled. They will remain active until the expiration date, and will be subject to any fees that may result.
      • Use registered mail with a return receipt request.
      • To request a plate cancellation receipt (Form TR-3), please include a postage paid, self-addressed envelope. Keep the cancellation receipt to avoid future property tax claims if your city or town neglects to remove you from their records.