RI.gov R.I. Government Agencies | Privacy Policy |
CONTACT US BY PHONE | FAQs |    Search this Site:
DMV feedback

Out of State Transfers

Forms and Fees

Things to Know

Within thirty (30) days of moving to Rhode Island and establishing residency, you must obtain a Rhode Island Operator's License as required by state law (§ Section 31-10-1).

  • If your out of state license has been expired for more than five years, you must apply for the Instruction Permit by taking the computerized knowledge exam at the Cranston DMV headquarters and a road test.
  • Your initial Rhode Island license will be valid for up to two years, expiring on your birthday.
  • If you had a license in your state of origin that enabled you to drive a taxi, limo or other non-CDL class vehicle for hire, you must complete the Application for Chauffeur License. Bring the completed application to the CDL section of the DMV headquarters in Cranston.
  • Any other restrictions or endorsements you may have had on your out of state license, with the exception of HazMat and/or Passenger endorsements will be transferred to your new Rhode Island license with an equivalent restriction/endorsement.
  • To transfer a Commercial Driver's License (CDL), you must have your out of state commercial driver's license or a certified motor vehicle record (driving history record), proof of residence, and your social security card.
  • Requirements for a passenger or school bus endorsement.

Out-of-Country and US Territories: Information on Out-of-Country and US Territories drivers license transfers.