RI.gov R.I. Government Agencies | Privacy Policy |
Contact Us | FAQs |    Search this Site:
DMV Unable to Process CDL Transactions this Friday, July 3, 2015

CRANSTON, RI - The Rhode Island Department of Motor Vehicles today announced that the Commercial Driver's License Information System, the federal computer system for commercial driver's licenses, will be down for required maintenance on Friday, July 3, 2015.

This maintenance will impact those Rhode Islanders who wish to process any commercial driver's license transactions on Friday, July 3, 2015. This will NOT affect regular driver's licenses - only commercial driver's licenses.

It is recommend that anyone needing to process a commercial driver's license transaction this week visit the DMV prior to Friday, July 3rd.

Also, as a reminder, the DMV is closed on Monday, July 6, 2015 in observance of the State Holiday but will reopen for regular business in all departments on Tuesday, July 7, 2015.
DMV feedback

Out of State Renewals

Forms and Fees

Things to Know

If you are temporarily out of state or out of the country for a valid reason such as work, school, in the military, or if you are seasonally in another state, the DMV can renew your license through the mail if you meet a few simple requirements. License renewals can also be done online if you meet the requirements. For additional information visit the Online License Renewal page.

  • A licensed optometrist or ophthalmologist must complete an Eye Examination Card.
  • Your license will only be renewed for a period of two years. When you return to Rhode Island, you can go to any DMV branch location to obtain a new license with your picture.
  • Payment in the form of check or money order must accompany the request.
  • Mail to the Division of Motor Vehicles Attn: License and Registration, 600 New London Avenue Cranston, RI 02920.
  • Rhode Island recently began issuing a new, digitized license. If you currently have one of the new licenses, there will be a picture on your waiver renewal. It will be the picture we have on file for you. If you still have one of the older licenses, the license will have the words 'Valid Without Photo' in the space for the picture.
  • Commercial Driver License (CDL) can not be renewed or duplicated. Federal regulations require that a photo appear on the face of the license.

Expired Five Years or More: Rhode Island licenses that have been expired for five years or more cannot be renewed. You must take the computerized knowledge exam at the Cranston DMV headquarters and a road test.