RI.gov R.I. Government Agencies | Privacy Policy |
DMV feedback

Lost or Damaged Licenses

A lost or damaged Rhode Island driver's license can be replaced at any DMV branch location or at a AAA branch office (members only).

Forms and Fees

Things to Know

If you are temporarily out of state at the time your license was lost or damaged for a valid reason such as work or school, or if you are seasonally in another state, the DMV can replace your license through the mail if you meet a few simple requirements.

  • Send the completed Photo Waiver Duplicate License form along with payment to the Division of Motor Vehicles Attn: License and Registration, 600 New London Avenue Cranston, RI 02920.
  • A hard copy will be mailed to you. If you do not receive it within 45 days, please contact the Division of Motor Vehicles at (401) 462-5862.

Commercial Driver License: Can not be renewed or duplicated by mail. Federal regulations require that a photo appear on the face of the license.