A kit vehicle is a motor vehicle (car, truck or motorcycle) that is built by an individual instead of a manufacturer.
To register a kit car or motorcycle the DMV requires certain paperwork be submitted in order to schedule your vehicle for a mandatory pre-registration inspection, which includes:
- Inspection of the vehicle for roadworthiness
- Rhode Island Assigned Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- Your vehicle must complete both phases of this inspection in order to be registered in Rhode Island.
Inspection Application Procedure for Kit Vehicles (cars and trucks only)
In order to apply for an inspection for your kit vehicle (car or truck) you must provide the DMV Enforcement section with the following:
- A photocopy of the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin properly assigned in your name from the kit manufacturer
- A photocopy of the title properly assigned in your name (for vehicles 2001 and newer) or a registration certificate in the name of the person you purchased the vehicle from that you are using as a "donor vehicle" to complete your kit car or truck.
- You must also submit four color photographs of the competed vehicle, a photocopy of your operator's license and a phone number where you can be reached during normal DMV hours of operation (8:30 am to 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday).
Inspection Application Procedure for Kit Vehicles (motorcycles only)
In order to apply for an inspection for your kit motorcycle you must provide the DMV's Enforcement section with the following documentation:
- A photocopy of the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin for the frame you purchased from an authorized dealer for that frame properly assigned to you.
- A photocopy of the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin for the motor you purchased from an authorized dealer for that motor properly assigned to you.
- A photocopy of the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin for the transmission you purchased from an authorized dealer for that transmission properly assigned to you.
- You must also provide four color photographs of your completed vehicle and a photocopy of your motorcycle operators license and a telephone number where you can be reached during normal DMV hours of operation (8:30 am to 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday).
- Send the above mentioned paperwork to: Division of Motor Vehicles 600 New London Avenue, Cranston, RI 02920, Attention: Enforcement Section
- Your packet will be processed and you will be called to arrange an appointment for your kit vehicle to be inspected.
- If you have any questions concerning this procedure, please call the DMV's Enforcement Section at (401) 462-5737.
The Legal End
- The kit vehicle you build must conform to all State motor vehicle safety requirements before it can be issued a Rhode Island Vehicle Identification Number.
- Before registration but after your inspection you must have your receipts audited by a Rhode Island Sales Tax Revenue Agent.
- In order to process a registration for your kit vehicle, your insurance company must issue and you must have proof of insurance bearing the Rhode Island Assigned Vehicle Identification Number assigned to your kit vehicle.
- The issuance of a Rhode Island Vehicle Identification Number to your kit vehicle is authorized under the State's Reconstructed or Specially Constructed Vehicle Law (RIGL 31-1-6). This law provides that you as the builder can apply for the issuance of a registration for a vehicle not constructed by a generally recognized manufacturer.
- For more information, please call (401) 462-5737